Competition pool at BSC Aquatic is closed Tues. Dec. 10 from 7am-3pm for filter cleaning and maintenance.
There is lap swimming available in the program pool.
Park & Shelter Information
The Bismarck Parks and Recreation District owns, manages and maintains approximately 2,300 acres of public park land. Our parks are open year-round; however, some facilities are operated on a seasonal basis.
Park hours vary depending upon location. Please check for posted signage regarding hours. Restrooms are scheduled to open May 1 and close November 1. This may change due to the weather.
For your safety and enjoyment, we ask you to abide by the following rules and regulations in our parks/recreation facilities:
- Glass beverage containers are prohibited, and alcohol permits are required.
- Fireworks are prohibited at all times.
- Vehicles are restricted to established roads and parking lots.
- Horses are prohibited except at the Horse Arena.
- Fires are restricted to fire pits and grills.
- Posting of posters and advertisements is prohibited.
- Vendor permits are required.
- It is illegal to carry a weapon into any park area.
- Pets must be on a leash, and please clean up after your pets.
- Hunting, trapping or killing of animals or birds is prohibited.
- No overnight camping is allowed in any city parks, with the exception of General Sibley Park and Eagles Park.
For shelter amenities and photos, click here to view our Shelter Descriptions page.
The city has 13 parks with picnic shelters. Most shelters have concrete floors and provide restroom facilities nearby. Shelters are equipped with electricity, a picnic grill, volleyball courts and horseshoe pits. Picnic shelters/buildings may be reserved for 2013, 2014 and 2015. Reservations for 2016 will begin Wednesday, October 1, 2014.
The Jaycee Leadership Hall and the Sertoma Club Community Center are multi-use, indoor buildings that are open year-round and heated in the winter. The Sertoma Club Community Center is air-conditioned in the summer.
Shelter Reservation Fees
- Full day: $30
- Half day: $20 (8a – 3p OR 4p – 11p, General Sibley Park closes at sunset)
- Call 222-6455 to reserve indoor or outdoor shelters.
Exceptions: Sleepy Hollow fees are $50 for 1/2 day and $75 for a full day. The Jaycee Park Leadership Hall, Sertoma Club Community Center and Custer Park Stage fees are $75 for 1/2 day and $100 for a full day. The buildings are $150 for 1/2 day and $200 for a full day when rented by a for-profit organization.
Reservations must be paid at the time of reservation. Picnic shelter rain checks will be granted only if the scheduled picnic or social gathering doesn’t begin due to the weather. Rain checks may be received by stopping at the Bismarck Parks and Recreation District Office within 72 hours of the scheduled picnic.
Picnic Equipment Available
- Volleyballs and nets
- Bats and balls
All equipment is available on a first come, first serve basis for a $50 deposit plus a $10 use fee. Equipment is for citizens who rent shelters from Bismarck Parks and Recreation District only. Deposit will be returned if equipment is returned cleaned within three days. Equipment may be picked up at the World War Memorial Building (WWMB), 215 North 6th Street, from 8:30a to 5p Monday – Friday. The WWMB is closed Saturday and Sunday.
Alcohol Beverage Permits
Anyone wishing to have alcohol beverages in parks and recreation areas must obtain a beverage permit at the Bismarck Parks and Recreation District Office, 400 East Front Avenue. You must be
21 years of age to purchase a permit.
- Group Permit – $20: Valid for one use only and is necessary anytime 11 or more adults are present in one group.
- Individual Permit – $20: Good for up to 10 adults in one group. Valid from date of purchase through December 31 of the year of purchase.
- Team Permit – $25: Valid from date of purchase through December 31 of the year of purchase.